Cold Central Plant Recycling (CCPR)
Turn your old asphalt into your new base course asphalt on site!
Bring the asphalt plant to your neighborhood or project to recycle your old asphalt into a new base course asphalt section; then cap it with a thinner lift of conventional hot mix.
That is precisely what CCPR does, and in so doing saves agencies and owners a considerable amount of money and time by recycling their existing asphalt assets. Many agencies are still doing things the old-fashioned way by paying contractors to haul away this valuable asset, and then paying a lot more per ton to import more conventional hot mix asphalt.
Your asphalt assets are worth approximately $25 to $35/ton; Instead of paying contractors to haul that valuable material away, and have the asphalt plants incorporate it into their hot mix and sell it back to you; why not recycle it yourself, save a lot of money, and stretch your budget dollars to enable yourself to do more projects?
Our infrastructure demands coupled with our budget constraints are not going to resolve themselves magically. We have to be smarter about the way we are doing things, and at the same time adopt a sustainable engineering approach that will benefit future generations. Our aggregate and oil resources are not infinite, and our current conventional remove and replace approach to our construction projects is wasteful. This modern sustainably engineered approach has proven itself many times over to enable agencies and owners to get more projects done with the same or reduced budget dollars without sacrificing structural integrity.
Benefits of CCPR:
- Less expensive to produce and pave than conventional asphalt because all or most of the material used to produce it is in-place and has already been paid for. The costs to rehabilitate it with an engineered emulsion additive is less expensive than producing virgin hot mix made from all new materials. Typical overall project cost savings are on the order of 25% or more.
- Smaller carbon footprint and reduced greenhouse gases because of the significant reduction in trucks exporting and importing materials and the reduced energy usage in the processing.
- Shorter construction periods combined with reduced truck traffic for less disruptions to traffic, residents and businesses.
- Restart the design life of the pavement section with no sacrifice to overall structural integrity. Pavement sections can be designed for 15 and 20 year design lives.
- Can be used on projects with base and/or subgrade failures. Because the asphalt is milled off and hauled to the central plant location for processing, subgrade problems if prevalent, can be addressed with soil stabilization first.
On suitable projects, in-place recycling is the preferred choice to the more costly, time consuming, and environmentally detrimental remove and replace (R&R) construction method. Contact us for a project evaluation to see if the CCPR process is suitable for your project.
Cold Central Plant Recycling (CCPR) using PASSÂ® R
City of Palm Desert
Formed in 1989, Pavement Recycling Systems (“PRS” or “Pavement”) is an employee-owned company working primarily in California, Nevada and Arizona. Pavement’s broad-based employee ownership structure translates into a strategic advantage for the company with every employee having a stake in the success of the company.